…But I’m too afraid I won’t be able to generate new business!
Throughout my 15 year career, I have always been responsible for generating my own new business. Without it I would have failed and no-doubt I wouldn’t have lasted in the role for very long.
Initially business development was something I tried to avoid at all costs because the very thought of anything salesy brought me out in a cold sweat.
I can still remember my first new business call, oh I cringe just thinking how terrible it went. That was during the time when new business meant picking up the phone and calling through a list of ‘warm’ contacts on the company database who in reality had never heard of me or the company.
Another business development ’trick’ at the time involved me stuffing hundreds of envelopes and sending potential clients a list of my hot candidates (I worked in recruitment at the time)
It’s with great pleasure that I can tell you that this form of new business development isn’t something that needs to be done in order to win new business…not anymore (I can hear hundreds of recruitment managers disagreeing with me)
It’s time consuming, soulless, results in little rewards, annoys potential clients and is downright unfulfilling personally. Sales and new business development for me now is a far softer approach, one which brings far greater results and more importantly develops strong, long lasting relationships.
Here are my top 12 methods to generate new business
- Build a sales funnel.
- Attend events that your ideal client attends and here’s something revolutionary – go talk to them!
- Ensure you know exactly who your ideal client is before you even start trying to develop new clients and customers.
- Continually build and improve your online presence, test what works best.
- Create a Linkedin profile that clearly communicates how you add value and how you can help eliminate your potential clients pain.
- Run Facebook ads to build up a following of ideal clients and regularly test your campaigns to see which one generates the best outcome.
- Create a Facebook group and engage with a community of people who are interested in what you have to offer and who will eventually buy your products.
- Write blogs and articles and become known as your industry go to expert.
- Ask your friends and current clients for referrals.
- Create a lead magnet and start building your email list which you can later use to build trust amongst your potential client base and promote your products and services.
- Look to build a passive income stream.
- Run a webinar, demonstrate your product or service and make viewers an offer they won’t want to walk away from.
Join the Facebook community
I want to personally invite you to join my Facebook group, where you can join a community of like minded individuals all looking to build their confidence and self-belief.